Suitelet to Write-Off Customer Balances in NetSuite
Most businesses need to write-off certain customer balances in order to claim losses, close out month end, and keep forecasting in check. Out-of-the-box NetSuite does not offer an automated solution for writing these balances off, so we created a Suitelet to increase our clients ability to control these accounting tasks and streamline their reporting. Using the new Suitelet by Limebox, now you can write-off customer balances in NetSuite. Things like…
- Bad debt
- Balances on payments
- Balances on invoices
- Balances on credit memos
- Balances on customer deposits
What are Suitelets?
While using NetSuite, you have probably encountered a situation where something you would like to do is not supported by out-of-the-box reports or Saved Searches. Instead of reverting to time intensive work-arounds, we sometimes create Suitelets to help our clients become more efficient within NetSuite. Suitelets are custom pages built using SuiteScript code. They look and act just like NetSuite, but are built to meet a specific objective not supported by out-of-the-box NetSuite.
Depending on the complexity of the Suitelet, these custom scripts can become quite expensive to develop. But more often than not quickly pay for themselves in improved productivity and time savings.
The newest Suitelet from Limebox allows you to write-off customer balances in NetSuite. And if you’re a Limebox client, we offer this Suitelet as a value-add tool at NO CHARGE.
HOW THE WRITE-OFF SUITELET FROM LIMEBOX WORKS
After installing the SuiteBundle that contains the Write-Off Suitelet, you will select transactions based on search criteria set within the NetSuite interface. Depending on the transaction type, the process creates Invoices and Credit Memos that is then automatically applied to the transaction that you want to write off. For example:
|Type||Originating Transaction||Write-Off Transaction|
|Bad Debt||Invoice||Credit Memo|
|Over Payment||Customer Payment||Invoice|
|Unapplied CM||Credit Memo||Invoice|
|Unapplied CDep||Customer Deposit||Invoice|
How to Set Up the Write-Off Suitelet from Limebox
Contact one of our Limebox NetSuite specialists and let them know you’re interested in our Write-Off Suitelet. For current Limebox customers, it is a value-add tool and free of charge.
Need help? If you’d like help implementing the Write-Off Suitelet, just let us know.
Once the SuiteBundle has been provisioned to your NetSuite account, navigate to
Customization > Suitebundler > Search and Install Bundles
Then search for Limebox Close Cash Tolerance Suitelet (ID 370832)
1. Click on the link to access the details page
2. Click on the Install button to access the Install page
3. Click on “Install Bundle” and a dialog will prompt you to click OK.
While the bundle is installing, go ahead and create a new item for the Write-off transactions. Navigate to:
Lists > Accounting > Items
Select “Other Charge for Sale”
- Give the item a descriptive name (like “Write-off”)
- Select the desired write-off account (generally in the income section of your Chart of Accounts or the Expense section if the write-off is for bad debt)
1. Once installed, you can access the SuiteBundle by navigating to
Transactions > Financial > Close Cash Variances
2. You will now be presented with the Write-Off Suitelet interface, where you will need to define your search criteria.
Mandatory fields to be completed are:
- Location (if location is mandatory in your account)
- Class (if class is mandatory in your account)
- Subsidiary (if subsidiaries are enabled in your account)
- Days Overdue
Optional fields to be completed are:
- Amount Over/Under (leaving this field blank will return all open transactions)
3. After making your selections, click Search and view the summary information.
4. You will also be presented with a section of tabs for each transaction type. Select all of the transactions you wish to process on all of the tabs.
5. Click submit to begin processing.
6. Click Refresh and you will see a success message.
You will also receive an email detailing the processed transactions
If we look at the Invoice, we see it is now paid in full by Credit Memo…
Here is the Credit Memo…
… and the GL impact of the Credit Memo…
Simple Solutions with Out-of-the-(Lime)box Thinking
Do you have a frustrating NetSuite limitation? Send it our way, and we’ll see what we can do!
Our NetSuite-Certified experts have solved dozens of frustrating limitations and conundrums over the years. With some outside-the-box, problem solving genius.
At Limebox, we help organizations implement and optimize enterprise-ready NetSuite, and custom software solutions, for their entire ecosystem. We deliver bonafide results the first time. With an eye for simplification and a genius for problem solving.
Get More NetSuite Tips and Tricks from Limebox
We’re here to help you win on NetSuite! Send us your email and you’ll be among the first to know when we release new NetSuite hacks and news!